Saturday, May 16, 2020

Music From My Naive Pre-Teen Years

I thought it would be cool to put together a music video playlist representing songs that I listened to on the radio during my pre-teen years. Out in what most would consider isolated, open country Kansas, the radio was my main connection to the real world and to my dreams. It wasn't much of a connection to the real world, as I discovered later when I had more access to information, but the songs did drive my dreams.

I put 10 videos on the playlist just to make it short; I could have added 50. Hang on Sloopy seemed to be constantly on the radio. Windy was played on the piano at home too. I didn't know what Petula Clark looked like until I was in college but Downtown was a young boy's dream of mine. The Archies were Saturday morning cartoon viewing and records cut out from the back of cereal boxes. The last song on the playlist was actually performed in 1983 but was a cover of a song I loved in the 60s - Crimson and Clover. I chose the cover version because Joan Jett shredded the original version with her cover.

Oh, for what it's worth, the Buffalo Springfield video shows a young Neil Young on lead guitar. And a David Cassidy video - a very underrated performer/vocalist. 

This playlist and a couple of others can be viewed on my website at orangejayhawk.com

Enjoy the playlist.


No comments:

Post a Comment